Gastroenterologist - An Overview
Gastroenterology – an area of medicine that focuses on the health of the digestive system, or the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
A gastroenterologist can treat everything from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) to liver diseases. They perform endoscopy to view the GI tract and make a diagnosis. They work closely with a GI surgeon.
Although the GI system includes the mouth, these specialists generally don’t provide care or services here. Other parts of the GI system include the:
- small intestine
- large intestine
- salivary glands
What conditions do gastroenterologists treat?
Dr. Bhavesh Thakkar is super-specialized in the field of gastroenterology and is one of the top gastroenterologist in Ahmedabad. The doctor and his team put their best efforts in the pursuit of providing the best gastroscopy in Ahmedabad. Conditions affecting GI system, that are treated:
What procedures do gastroenterologists perform?
Gastroenterologist performs a range of nonsurgical procedures. This can include:
- endoscopic ultrasounds to examine the upper and lower GI tract, as well as other internal organs
- colonoscopy to detect colon cancer or colon polyps
- endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography to identify gallstones, tumors, or scar tissue in the bile duct area
- sigmoidoscopies to evaluate blood loss or pain in the bowel
- liver biopsies to assess inflammation and fibrosis
- capsule endoscopies to examine the small intestine
- double balloon enteroscopies to examine the small intestine
To consult, gastroenterologist in Ahmedabad, contact Dr. Bhavesh Thakkar. Drop us a message or give us a call.
When should you see a gastroenterologist?
You may want to consult a gastroenterologist if you:
- have unexplained blood in your stool
- have difficulty in swallowing
- are experiencing abdominal pain
Further if you are above 50 years, you should consult a gastroenterologist for preventive care for colon cancer. Men and women over the age of 50 are at increased risk for colon cancer.